Buildings and Grounds Specialists
Average Salary: $29,723
Every organization with buildings and lawns needs someone to maintain them. A water sector agency may have offices, treatment plants, pumping stations, customer service centers, a reservoir, and aqueduct. The buildings and grounds specialist for a water sector agency must:
- keep all the lighting, security systems, fire alarms, rest rooms, doors, windows, automatic lawn sprinklers, etc. in working order;
- manage and tend to the gardens, shrubs, lawns, roadways, and other outdoor areas;
- keep roads and walkways free of debris, fallen trees, snow, ice, etc.
- work with landscapers, carpenters, plumbers, and other subcontractors;
- remove trash from reservoir areas and keep sources of pollution out.
Education: High-school diploma; on-the-job training; two-year technical school degree in building engineering and horticulture is a plus
Certificates, licenses: No
Entry-level opportunities: Yes
Desirable traits and skills: Must enjoy working with hands and machines, working at a variety of tasks, and working outside